Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reflections

I am sitting on the deck with Adam, enjoying a beautiful spring day in Chicago. It's about 70 degrees, blue skies, and no humidity. Kind of like Seattle in July. Kicking my feet back, I am reflecting on the past three years and the changes that we have seen in our family in that short period of time.

Zachary turned three this past Wednesday. And, as every other mother I know, I spent much of the day reminiscing about the day my sweet baby was born. Looking through pictures, I realize just how little he was. Duh, right? We loved our "little sack of sugar" and have loved seeing him grow and change through all of the developmental stages.

Three weeks ago, on April 9, he went to bed without his binky. We seized on the opportunity to break him of the habit. While it hasn't been the easiest transition (according to him, it was an accidental occurence and he begged for it the next day), his future orthodontist will thank us for it. Or maybe, because we jumped on it, his orthodontist will not thank us for it, because he won't have as much work to bill.

Then, last Saturday, May 2, we went cold turkey to big boy underwear. Okay, not completely. His bed thanks us for that. But, for a week, during his waking hours Zachary has only worn underwear. And while that has been another big transition, he's weathering it well. Some days are better than others.

With all of these big boy changes, Z has begun presenting us with some challenges. Who sets the rules? One little three year-old I know would like to think he does. I hear this is a phase. Perhaps lasting another 15 years or so.

Each day I look at the boy in front of me and wonder how we so quickly went from "sack of sugar" to "tall drink of water with a little spice." I pray continually that God will give me the wisdom to guide him as he grows into a little man; and that as he grows, Zachary will learn what matters most in life through our actions.

2 comments:

selfadam said...

You're a great Mother (and Wife :)!

Anonymous said...

You have a great husband, and he's right! God will continue to give you wisdom for each step you take as you both parent Zachary. It's challenging, but you're more than capable in His strength!